[extropy-chat] Re: codes in scam letters

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Wed Sep 28 23:43:47 UTC 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 10:42 PM, Emlyn wrote:

> So in this case, I != Compress(Uncompress(I)).

Agreed.  This is often the case, and I don't dispute it.

My example was merely meant to show that this is not always the case.
By showing how some predictable graphics programs could thwart a
seemingly good steganographic process without the user's knowledge, I
was merely trying to show that truly undetectable steganography is
harder than it looks.  You can't just grab a good steaganographic
program and use random images off the Internet and be assured that they
are undetectable all the time.  This might work most of the time, but
to get a high assurance on all messages takes a lot more expertise.  An
unskilled person may very well produce detectable messages even with a
good steganographic program.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP