[extropy-chat] more bang for the buck

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 02:04:53 UTC 2005

Of course you're correct about my posts, it's just that I've gotten accustomed to extemporaneously knocking out letters to the editor. Used to spend an hour writing something substantial about oil drilling, loaded with figures, but most readers would skim the letter over and forget it; or maybe one wonk would reply to say, "I must disagree with Alan Jerks that anti-ANWR-exploitation activists use 2,876,922 barrels of ink to write their diatribes in addition to the 21,300,181 reams of paper. I cordially submit the actual respective figures are in fact 14.899% lower for the ink; 3.626% lower for the paper".
Quick provocative letters are fun, and get many replies because many readers get riled up and when they do they say what they think, "...in reality Mr. Jerks you're a phoney-baloney lumpen proletarian petty bourgeois crypto-Republican operative apologist for Right Wing imperialist corporate polluters. Please allow us to put you up against the wall for saying what you wrote in your recent letter".