[extropy-chat] Blog spam

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Thu Sep 29 06:19:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 22:52 -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> The ones that could be among the most difficult are semi-obscure old
> commercials, a few of which you've used above.  Some of these (like #8) are
> also regional.  There are a couple of these would be nearly impossible to
> Google down (like #9) without what amounts to a very transient cultural
> experience.  I'll bet even some younger American adults would have a hard
> time with #9.

Unlikely.  It was my first guess and I'm a young(er) non-American.
Also, while it is hard to guess, it is relatively easy to confirm with
google since it has to be a very popular commercial or tv program.
"the" is a given, then just have to fill in a four letter word.

> More importantly, the cost of tracking many of these down in Google would be
> sufficient that it would not be worth the effort in most cases.  Which is
> all that is really required.

No, you need to create enough of these so that a database is costly to
fill, but automating the creation  of this type of quiz sounds pretty
hard.  Even for a google-armed human, it's very hard to tell what other
people will and won't know.