[extropy-chat] Resources for microscopes

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sun Apr 2 21:41:55 UTC 2006

Fun! What a blast!

Might be of some help, and is just nice to have - There is an
excellent text on microscopes available free online by Mortimer
Abramowitz - Microscope Basics and Beyond. It has great explanations
for  Kohler illumination, depth of field, oil immersion, etc.

I've been trying to upgrade my (very) old kit scope since it tops out
at 320x and doesn't have a camera adapter. There has been some really
nice hardware on eBay - binocular, American Optics, 1000x Oil etc,
selling for less than US$300.

http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/basicsandbeyond.pdf

I think if you leave your spore traps by your heating/cooling vent
intakes, or under the front of the couch, you'll have enough sample
after one twenty-four hour period, perhaps even one day (8hr) of
activity (such as a Saturday).

This document also talks about swabbing instead of trapping:
http://www.invironment.com/research/v2n12f1.pdf

Which works if you have visual keys that are suspect, sooty
splotches, etc.

Happy Hunting!

Bret Kulakovich