[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 23:58:07 UTC 2006

On 4/6/06, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Say you did truly subscribe to the pattern paradigm, so you truly
> believed that, in facing death of your body, the fact that there were
> other copies around would mean you wouldn't actually die.
>
> Then, what would it be like to experience a really harrowing death
> (being eaten by aliens with acid blood and space halitosis, say)? With
> the fear of death really gone, ie: you *know* and *deeply feel* that
> this is just destroying a body, no big problem existentially.
>
> How about if you recorded those sensations somehow, and could send
> them back to be merged with another "line" of you, so a surviving
> instance could experience them without dying.

Straightforward enough if you upload and do it in VR, I suppose.

How then do you think that kind of terrible "death" would be? Hmm....

*shrug* Doesn't sound a lot of fun to me, but then I don't really like pain;
I imagine you'd get takers. (See 'The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect' for
a fictional treatment of this sort of issue - warning, it's very good but
more or less necessarily has a rather high squick factor.)