[extropy-chat] Your children are safe with us...

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 23:16:50 UTC 2006

The difference is one of alleged will to virtual sex versus actual
sex with a minor.  I don't see why virtual sex or much of anything
else virtual should carry the same penalties as actual acts.   As our
virtual worlds become more sophisticated the issue gets more
complex.  Also playing in the background are notions of what a
"child" is and is not.  Many of us know from our own childhood that
many "children" are quite sexually sophisticated by their mid-teens
or in some cases even earlier.  Yet we have laws that say that sex
between someone over a relatively arbitrary and culturally determined
age and some one under that arbitrary age is heinously wrong.  That
may or may not be a reasonable thing.  But to take it into the
virtual world and to claim that flirtation and sexual play virtually
between such two people on different sides of this arbitrary age
barrier is equally heinous is more than a little strained.  Further,
I believe a younger person might more safely explore some things
virtually than fumble their way into something similar in meat space.
This might be a relatively good thing in some cases.

- samantha