[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Apr 18 02:28:58 UTC 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 11:23 AM, ben wrote:

> "Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I define it as /irrevocable loss of information/. Some people
> define it
> as /loss of the soul/. How do you define it?

As loss of information of sufficient (not yet known how much this is)
detail to realistically continue the existence of the person (not
necessarily in the same or any biological body).

> Some people seem to think that a temporary cessation of processing
> equates to death. I think that Eleizer has satisfactorily demonstrated
> in an earlier post that this can't be true.
>
> Cryonics (on a living person) is equivalent to a temporary
> cessation of
> processing.
>
> Death, followed quickly enough by cryonic suspension (quickly
> enough so
> that no significant loss of information occurs) is also equivalent
> to a
> temporary cessation of processing (so long as processing can and does
> resume at some future point, of course).

As many writers have also mentioned, keeping a deep enough non-
destructive scan of this information would also be sufficient to
continue the entity's existence with starting state up to the moment
of the scan in case of death.  Thus I suspect that cryonics will go
out of favor as soon as we get such scans plus the ability to create
a suitable body.   We need the latter ability to revive those people
who don't go for full body suspension anyway.

- samantha