[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 20 23:59:38 UTC 2006

BillK wrote:
There is a new study just published:
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9019-watching-the-brain-switch-off-selfawareness.html>

Watching the brain 'switch off' self-awareness

So your 'self' gets switched off while your brain is working hard on a
problem, then gets switched back on again when your brain has enough
spare processing cycles.

Looks to me as though if you copy the 'self' program, then you could
run many copies of your 'self' program.  And each one would be 'you'.

BillK

Yes, I saw that study earlier today. It doesn't really affect what I'm saying which
is that death occurs whenever mind process stops. Mind obviously still operates
during the time when self-awareness is switched off. IMO, a sense of self, like a
sense of sound, is a luxury, not a requirement for living.

S.