[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 22:33:02 UTC 2006

Hello,

  Before I continue with the technical aspects of this debate, I would like to make a proposal. I think it would be ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING AND REWARDING to attempt a formal philosophical thesis paper, based on the premise that I just suggested: That "we" are constantly dieing, and our entire subjective life is only a "copy's illusion" (to use Heartland's perfect phrase). Perhaps with the intent to submit it to a philosophy journal. I am only presently at the amateur armchair level, but I am currently trying to get more deeply into philosophy. If we accept the premise above, it would have devastating implications for other entire fields of philosophy. Off the top of my head, here are some old and big questions it could answer:

  Does God exist?: Nope. Apparently Not.
  Is there an Afterlife of any kind?: Nope. Apparently Not.
  Is our universe just a simulation?: ...Well, at least some more evidence that it is not.
  Is my mind/brain really 'real'? Is the universe really 'real'?: Yes. They are both 'real'.

  I am not, nor would I ever, claim full credit for this idea. I would not even have begun thinking about "time-slices" of the mind/brain it if I hadn't started reading the debate here. But, I would like a small piece of the cake, if no one is objecting. ;-)

  So if anyone on this list would like to join me in attempting a formal analysis and write-up of this idea, with the intent to submit to a journal, please contact me on or off list : austriaaugust at yahoo.com

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich