[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 26 00:07:45 UTC 2006

>  Before I continue with the technical aspects of this debate, I would like to
> make a proposal. I think it would be ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING AND REWARDING to
> attempt a formal philosophical thesis paper, based on the premise that I just
> suggested: That "we" are constantly dieing, and our entire subjective life is
> only a "copy's illusion" (to use Heartland's perfect phrase).

Thanks Jeffrey, but we are not constantly dying. Any process, including life, needs
time to exist so it would be wrong to view the whole argument from t=0 perspective.
If t=0, then what you are saying would definitely be true, but t>0. Life is not
3-dimensional. Life, a process, is made up of processes that exist not only in 3D
but also in time.

Just because I'm not able to say, "I think, therefore I am" during 10^29 Planck
Intervals doesn't mean my mind process stopped execution at that moment so that I
am unable to say the same sentence in the next 3s.

S.