[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 20:46:08 UTC 2006

Hi Heartland,

  I admit that I may be wrong about this (but I don't think I am), but it seems to me that even a single atom *must* include the time dimension. It must "have" at least 4 dimensions (and the total number of dimensions may exceed this), otherwise it is *not* an atom, it is something else if it is anything at all. I think we would agree that the hardware of the mind is made of *atoms*, so any *brain* (functional or not) must be "4-D".

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

Heartland <velvet977 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > But "a functional brain" occurs in time, and a
>> > static brain frozen in time performs no functions.
>>
>> What the brain *does* through matter in space and
>> time is a 4-D object. There is a clear distinction
>> between hardware, software, and an activity which
>> both hardware and software determine. Brain is not
>> the mind.
>

> I presented an ostensible counter example to your
> claim [*] yet your response ignores it and instead
> addresses a claim I never made. I never said there was
> no distinction between hardware (brain) software
> (mind).

Sorry, that's what I thought you were saying.

> I said there's no such thing as a brain that
> has any "functionality" minus time and that brain
> functions not associated with 'mind' exist as
> discernable functions in time, ie, the 4th D.

"Functionality" is basically a "static" statement of potential ability of a brain
to implement tasks that might result with emergence of mind. Functionality can only
be expressed in time as 4-D mind while brain is technically only 3-D object.

As in any process, all the non-mind brain functions that happen in time are also
4-D objects. It's just that they don't contribute directly to a mind process.

> Your claim seems to point in the right direction in
> that mind involves what a brain does. 'Mind' is like a
> verb whereas 'brain' is more like a noun. But my point
> is that the actual phenomena do not allow such a
> perfect distinction. Brain functions that are not
> involved in producing what we call 'mind' but that are
> features that define 'brain' are also properly verb
> like, or temporally embedded. So the claim atop this
> post appears to be soundly falsified. ~Ian

My claim is that brain is 3-D and mind is 4-D. I'm not sure how the above makes
that claim false. Please clarify.

S.