[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 21:59:13 UTC 2006

Heartland wrote:
"It's also important to note that atoms as 4-D objects are non-mind processes so my
conclusion that irreversible death occurs when 4-D mind object degenerates into
non-mind objects still stands."

Jeffrey wrote:
"Yes, I still fully agree with this statement.
If a mind-process is stopped, as it is in vitrification, the mind is verifiably
absent, the "original" person is forever dead. The revived person will be a "copy",
no argument from me.
But, I still believe that the "illusion" of continuity will be present. The
subjective experience will not be lost. I believe that revival from suspension
would "feel" no different than waking from a dreamless sleep."

That's exactly what would happen. I've never questioned that except this illusion
will belong to a copy, not the original. That illusion will happen as part of a
verifiably different *instance* of mind process than the original instance of that
same *type* of process. As people, we are instances, not types. That's the biggest
misconception that people bring to this kind of debate, namely, that people are
types.

Jeffrey:
"I say this because I think that we ourselves are continually dieing in a permanent
way already. At the end of each "round" of "life" (I can't yet say how long this
is) we die permanently and experience *nothingness*. It is the physical substance
of our brains (the atoms in their particular arrangement) that manifests the next
"copy" that "occupies" our brains and our lives, and this cycle continues on and on
until the brain is physically destroyed and cannot support a conscious mind at
all."

This is where we disagree. I don't think we are constantly dying and I have a good
reason to think so. You wrote: "It is the physical substance of our brains (the
atoms in their particular arrangement) that manifests the next "copy" that
"occupies" our brains and our lives," but it is not the arrangement of atoms that
produces mind, it's the *activity* of matter in space and time that directly causes
mind to emerge. If there were no atoms (theoretically) and that activity would be
present then we would still experience life. This *activity* (mind process) never
stops during the time interval when no signals flow through neuronal network. Why?
Because the substance of that activity is energy and as long as we live that energy
is being more or less conserved. When we get to the bottom of it all, it's not the
atoms or pattern of brain structure that is the mind. We are a system of energy
flow.

Jeffrey:
"I would just like to provide my speculations on the "experience" of permanent
death. When the mind process stops, and the mind is absent, permanent death has
occurred, the person has "entered" nothingness. But nothingness, is not anything
that can be "experienced", not even in principle. Nothingness is not equivalent to
a sensory deprivation tank. You do not "see" a black void when you die. You do not
"hear" nothingness. You are not "frightened" by the "experience", because it is
*not* an experience. Just remember, we have each, without doubt, already been dead
once... the entire time before we were conceived."

Yes, I could have written this part myself.

S.