[extropy-chat] Rational thinking

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Dec 1 05:18:29 UTC 2006

Colin Geoffrey Hales wrote:
> Consider this:
>
> "... that neither beliefs nor acts of belief, nor decisions,
> nor even preferences, are reasonable or rational except in
> the sense that they are reached by procedures methods that
> are reasonable or rational. (The phrase rational belief is
> rather like the phrase 'fast food'.)..."

Turtles all the way down, eh?  Isn't that the same kind of thinking that
killed Buridan's Ass?

I understand the point, and avoid the word "belief" for that very
reason, but isn't it interesting that absolutely effective decisions are
made and actions taken all the while lacking any valid means of support?
Every system functions within a context.  Despite all the uncertainties,
the spider was just as dead after being swatted by the master.

> "Induction: A Problem Solved" in David Miller 2005, "Out of
> Error" p111.

I've had this book on my Amazon wish list for a while now but it's a bit
pricey and I don't know when I'll get to it.  Checked UCSB library but
they don't have it either. Do you have a used copy to sell?

- Jef