[extropy-chat] Is Many Worlds testable?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 22:48:07 UTC 2006

> Spintronics is static

Yeah, spintronics looks promising.

Reversible computation does not clamp your style much.

Perhaps not; I just doubt it can be made _that_ reversible. Basically the
idea is, once the output is recorded, rewind the computation and reclaim the
energy as heat. Now, theoretically nondissipating systems like transformers,
electric motors and generators, mechanical drive trains etc, if well
designed, typically have efficiency in the range 90-99% don't they? It seems
plausible to suggest the efficiency of reversible computers will be similar,
which would suggest the ability to process 10-100 bits per ln(2)kT energy
dissipation, unless I'm overlooking something?