[extropy-chat] SotU and human cloning/modification

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:31:35 UTC 2006

I was rather worried by this part of the address:

"A hopeful society has institutions of science and medicine that do not cut
ethical corners, and that recognize the matchless value of every life.
Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses
of medical research — human cloning in all its forms ... creating or
implanting embryos for experiments ... creating human-animal hybrids ... and
buying, selling, or patenting human embryos. Human life is a gift from our
Creator — and that gift should never be discarded, devalued, or put up for
sale."