[extropy-chat] Faith-based thought vs thinkers Re: IntelligentDesign: I'm not dead yet

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Feb 2 07:57:39 UTC 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 5:14 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> Subsequently over the last few years I've devoted some thought to
> how much of Catholicism (or Biblical history) could be true if
> things like miracles relying on nanotechnology, Intelligent Design
> (of solar systems), ETI (SI) interventions in human evolution or
> computer based simulations of entire civilizations are feasible
> (which appears to be the case).

Yeah, I've been down that road too.  What I couldn't get a handle on
is "why".   Of course you wouldn't expect an AI backed character in a
sim to understand the reason behind the Sim.  Nor would you
necessarily expect the creator[s] of the Sim to have much more
empathy for us than we would have for a synthetic character in a
video game.   Perhaps the purpose was to explore the minimum
intelligence and external inputs necessary to still reach
technological transcendence.  Maybe some of the inputs were the
irritations that religious "pearls" formed around.  Who knows?  Makes
interesting fiction but it doesn't explain anything or seem to give
much traction.

> There appears to be a significant element of "group-think" in
> "faith-based thought".  It would seem to make sense that everyone
> who eventually reaches the conclusion that Santa Claus is a myth
> should also reach the conclusion that religions that are based on
> other "magical" claims are also myths.  While giving up ones belief
> in Santa Claus is accepted  - giving up ones belief in a fictional
> reality based set of religious beliefs generally is not.

Well said.

> The point which Harris finds objectionable is that the moderates
> allow the "faith-based actors" to continue to act without forcing
> (and yes, I used the word *force* again) them to confront their
> failure to build rational systems for acting.  Irrational actors in
> other contexts tend to be locked away where they can do minimal
> harm to society.

We generally only care if someone has crazy notions if they are
directly endangering themselves or others based on those notions.  I
grant that we allow religious craziness more leeway than that.
Having fought a running battle with more mystical ways and basis for
action at times in my life I perhaps can offer some insights.    When
I was in the mystical mindset those friends who attempted to
intervene simply appeared clueless or caring but not really
understanding.   It was only when the carefully constructed system
was weakening that it was advantageous to have people I cared about
point out the insubstantial and illusory nature of what I was
attempting to hold as true.   Many believers seem different though.
They think their beliefs on these subjects are their very being.
They often see only attack and not questions.  They think that
without their beliefs they would simply not be.    On the other hand
most believers haven't worked as hard as I did at apologetics.  So it
should be easier to reach them with firm disbelief and even
incredulity that they believe impossible and/or utterly unproven
things.   Further they clam these beliefs are the most important
thing of all!

One of the most effective wake up calls I received was from a friend
who grew up in mainland China.  One day at lunch she looked at me as
if I was some bizarre exotic variant of humanity and said "Oh, do you
have religion?   How interesting.  I grew up utterly without it and
no one I have known has had it."    She had an attitude that it was
some strange psychological malady.  Her friendly direct inquiry led
me to see my beliefs as she saw them.  It was exactly what was needed
beyond anything that could raise my defenses.

> Each person reading this has made a conscious (or unconscious)
> choice not to stand in front of their local religious institution
> on Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning holding up a sign saying "You
> are acting upon beliefs in *myths*" (in "Western" cultures).  [You
> either *are* extropic and are acting upon it or you are just along
> for the ride...]  The continued tolerance of the mental belief
> systems of faith-based actors (and the actions resulting therefrom)
> *do* have consequences such as:

Yeah.  I was sickened reading articles today suggesting a balance
needs to be struck between free speech and respect for religious
beliefs.  Why should such beliefs be respected?   What is the meaning
of and limits of what "respect" it makes sense to give to other human
beings in their particular mixture of truth and delusion?  Should we
treat religion more delicately because its roots run so deep or pull
all the harder to have a small hope of uprooting it?

I have tried so many mixtures that might perhaps lead to extropian
goals but with religious memes in the mix.  Again and again I
conclude that there is no viable way to do this.   Letting go of
religion appears essential to even beginning to become a fully
functional, rational  and fully empowered extropian.

- samantha