[extropy-chat] Email Postage

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:43:11 UTC 2006

Well some of the ideas seem reasonable.

How about:
1) No charge for "friends", i.e. people from my address list.
2) No charge for people to whom I have sent mail (but may not be in the
address list).
3) A "Commercial" Inbox for paid-for-mail and/or a "Priority" inbox for
people willing to pay to send stuff "Express".
4) After that apply the "standard" filters so that things that look like
SPAM go into the SPAM inbox/folder/category and the rest goes into a
ToBeSorted category.

I don't think I even see the spam on Gmail and in ~5+ months of using it off
an on have only received perhaps 3 Spam messages.  (Of course my address
hasn't been available in "public" for very long.)  But this would seem to
imply that the filters used by the larger email suppliers are pretty robust
at this point.

The system above would seem to be reasonable in allowing people who really
want to reach you to be able to pay to do so without inflicting a "time"
cost upon you.  (I.e. the people with nothing better to do can sort through
the junk mail and the people who are busy doing useful stuff will just
circular file it.)

Robert