[extropy-chat] Right to sustain thread view

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:40:58 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Diego Caleiro <diegocaleiro at terra.com.br> wrote:

> I'd like that what people call friendly AI will be something less arrogant
> than you, who doesn't respect the desire or the creed of anything below
> your
> advanced intelligence. Supose a jupiter brain not friendly, or as friendly
> as
> a pattern human, say, you,  sees you and beleives, for reasons that only
> his
> intelligence can understand, that you should be immediately destroyed.
> Would
> you accept that?

I would accept it on an absolute basis.  The dedication of the 70kg of
elements within my body to a suboptimal computational architecture is
clearly not how I would like to see the materials used over the long term.
But the emphasis that at least I would choose is that I get to make the
choice of the form of my instantiation(s).  ["Give me freedom or give me
death."]

But for this entire discussion to hold any water you have to look at the
environment in which reanimations might be taking place.  During most of the
early nanotechnology era there will be far more materials in the various
planets and subsequently being harvested from the Sun to care about the
~10^11 kg of elements in human biological systems (most of which is hydrogen
and oxygen which are of limited use relative to their overall abundance in
optimal computing architectures).  For the level of superintelligence that
seems to be under discussion reanimation and/or reanimation with uploading
is a no brainer type of activity.  So the question should not be whether it
is a "friendly" AI but simply whether it is an extropic or compassionate
AI.  If it has either of those qualities then anyone still left on ice will
probably be brought back in one form or another.

Robert