[extropy-chat] Muslim Machinations (was Protect ourselves to prevent a return to the middle ages)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 10 18:51:47 UTC 2006

--- Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk> wrote:
> The problem we have is the fact that the more extreme imams
> have been
> speaking on the behalf of all muslims. Most muslims are
> moderate and
> even secular, and are just going about their business.

Random thought.  I can see why this wouldn't be the case in Iran
and similar places, but...in Western countries where this is
happening, if any extreme imams are operating in said countries,
would the extremists' representations of all Islam as needing to
violently protest the cartoons - and thus, representations of
Islam as a violent religion - be liable for libel or slander?
As in, "You say that this is what the religion *I* preach is,
but it is not.  Your words cause financial damage to me and my
followers, in direct retaliations from society."  (Ignoring the
incitement to violence on the part of the followers, since -
however objectionable - it might not qualify as libel per se.
Or would it?)

Not sure if it is so - or if it is/would be right.  Just a
thought for consideration.