[extropy-chat] Four-Year Mortality Index for Older Adults

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 15:49:47 UTC 2006

> Subject: [extropy-chat] Four-Year Mortality Index for Older Adults
>
> Hal Finney:
> >It's interesting that
> >hey left the income question off, that would be easy to answer and it
> >sounds like it should be worth 2 or maybe even 3 points to make less
> >than $20K or $10K.  I guess it was just too controversial...

Hal the stats as given sound right, even if misleading.  If one
is underweight, it might be because one is sick, homeless, addicted,
or anorexic.  In those cases, one's chance of death is high.  The
numbers do not account for those very few who keep their weight
low intentionally for life extension purposes.  The number of
people who do that is probably negligible compared to the
other categories previously mentioned.

If one in middle age has very low income, it suggests one
is already wealthy, which would make one's risk of death
go down.