[extropy-chat] Happy New Year and resolution.

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 07:00:38 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, Anne-Marie Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> One of my resolutions this year was to find out how to eat better and
> feel healthier.
>
> Is there a program or site that exists that can help me acknowledge
> what I eat and drink?
> Sorry for my ignorance, but I was just curious to find out if I could
> punch in what I eat and find out exactly what i'm putting in
> my body.  (Like typing apple and knowing how many vitamins
> i'm putting in my body?)(Or by putting tuna and knowing how much
> iron i've absorbed.
> I would love to buy my Mother this device.
> If anybody has any fact, advice or opinion, I would love to know,

One trick I've learned for finding useful sites is to do a search  for
popular del.icio.us tags on the subject. For  example:

http://del.icio.us/popular/nutrition
http://del.icio.us/popular/diet
http://del.icio.us/popular/health

I haven't tried them out myself, but the following look like they could be
useful:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/
("Stick with your free diet plan with the help of our daily food tracker,
meal plans, shopping lists, progress reports, and more.")

http://www.nutritiondata.com/
("NutritionData (ND) provides nutrition facts, Calorie counts, and nutrient
data for all foods and recipes.")

http://www.caloriescount.org/cgi-bin/calorie_calculator.cgi

http://www.bellybytes.com/articles/29foods.shtml
("The following is a "healthy food hot list" consisting of the 29 foods that
will give you the biggest nutritional bang for you caloric buck, as well as
decrease your risk for deadly illnesses like cancer, diabetes and heart
disease.")

http://www.fitday.com/
(" Sign-up for your free web
account<http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/SignUp.html>and join the growing
number of FitDay members who are tracking their foods,
exercises, weight loss, and goals online.")

http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/menuplanner/menu.cgi
("Interactive Menu Planner")

-- Neil