[extropy-chat] All hail Will Wilkinson

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 21:07:32 UTC 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> On 1/4/06, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
>
> > I can imagine you shudder with revulsion as you read this, but would
> > you consider that cooperation is a much stronger principle
> leading to
> > growth, with the understanding that effective cooperation at a given
> > level of organization benefits from diversity and competition at a
> > lower level?
>
> An example might help, Jef. I'm thinking you're correct, an example
> being
> competition between salespeople at a lower level and cooperation
> between
> the sales department and other departments at a higher level.
>
> Is that really so, or a justification of existing practice and
> prejudice?
> Would cooperation between salespeople be a better strategy overall?

I have seen this work when the sales folks pitch each others
strengths to likely prospects in order to pull together larger joint
deals or additional deals that bring more net sales to the company.
Using and sharing common pools of tools, contacts and knowledge
increases the effectiveness of everyone in the group.  I have seen
some of this work even across different companies.

- samantha