[extropy-chat] the structure of randomness

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 21:28:50 UTC 2006

--- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The results produced by John suggest to me that the
> chi-2 isn't the
> measure that corresponds very well to their human
> scored similarity.

Well that's because it's not. Chi^2 is more for
comparing ratios than histograms. If I remember my
stats correctly, the K-S (Kolmogorov-Smirnov)
statistic is more appropriate and will give a P-value
that two histograms represent the same underlying
distribution.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)