[extropy-chat] circumcision

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 08:57:28 UTC 2006

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If it's so good why don't most uncircumcised men
> > line up for it?
>
> Because as an adult, a post-operative erection would
> tear the stitches out. Generally it is unwise to
> circumcise after puberty. The younger the better.

This scenario seems implausible.  Yes, the notion of a
serious post-operative erection might suggest such a
problem, but alternately, and in my view the more
likely case, the pain associated with the onset of
such an erection would put a quick end to the process.

         **************************************

--- Acy Stapp <acy.stapp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can guess what 99.9% of teenage boys
> would choose.

You're suggesting, I take it, that they would say "No
way!"  But what if it were culturally prescribed?  If
"all the men" had it done?

It might be worth while to consult with some Muslims
on this.  They get circumised at age nine.  This would
give you some real data on pain et al.  Also, I would
guess that the Muslim boys 'choose' circumcision.  At
least insofar as any boy embarking on manhood
'chooses' the traditional ritual
requirements/practices of the rite of passage.

If I had to guess why most uncircumcised men don't
"line up for it", I'd simply say, "What man in his
right mind is gonna volunteer to have the end of his
penis cut off, particularly if everything is working
just fine?"

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right,"
                         Woody Allen