[extropy-chat] "Shall we enhance?"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 14 21:49:11 UTC 2006

Dear Ms. Jarvik

You write:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635174444,00.html

"How smart should we be allowed to be? How tall? How happy?"

These are among the strangest and most distressing questions I have ever
seen printed in a responsible journal, or indeed any outside totalitarian
societies. "Allowed" by whom? Implicitly, you condone the suggestion that
someone else has a moral right to reduce or limit my intelligence and
happiness, or that of my children. Extraordinary!

I assume this is not something you really think, but is purely an artifact
of journalism's routine but often profoundly misleading "On the one hand,
on the other". Would you feel equally comfortable writing: "How literate
should we be allowed to be? How old? How ethical?" Like yours, these are
all questions more suited to a Taliban theologian, I think, or one of Pol
Pot's ideologues.

Damien Broderick, PhD
University of Melbourne
Australia