[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 05:31:52 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> And there wes nothing like that in my CI paperwork. I asked Bob
> Ettinger about uploading a couple of years ago, but he did not seem to
> view it as an option. Not only because we are still very far from
> developing enabling technologies for uploading, but also because he
> does not think the copy would be a continuation of the original (the
> identity problem).

Yes, some people do hold that view, that's why I think it should be up to
the individual to decide. (Not that it matters to me personally - cryonics
isn't available in Ireland - just trying to be helpful.)

I don't see why not, and would sign up for uploading immediately if
> there were providers offering brain scans of sufficient resolution,
> but also this is quite far (20 years is my best case estimate, but
> please correct me if I am wrong).

You're right :) - Well I think so anyway, 20 years best case if things go
well. But cryonics isn't exactly a short term enterprise in the first place
- indeed it's precisely the fact that some or all of us will be dead by the
time uploading becomes possible that makes uploading from cryonic status an
important issue.

- Russell