[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:21:49 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> Well of course it does! The two may start out being identical but as soon
> as
> then have different experiences they diverge, they no longer have the same
> brain structure and become separate people.

And that's where we differ. In my view they would have two separate *lives*
even if both minds experienced exactly the same POV.

If the original got killed in front of the perfect copy, the original would
not witness his own death through the eyes of the copy.

>> My strategy during the current round of debates has been to focus
>> attention of readers on subjective POV of the original.
>
> Every time I debate this people ALWAYS talk about the POV of the original.
> Always. Just once try thinking about the POV of the copy, put yourself in
> his place. You will find that the POV of the copy and original are
> identical.

I did put myself in copy's place and wrote earlier that I could be a copy
while my original might be dead. Since uploading technology doesn't exist
yet, logic tells me that I must be the original.

>> Why should you be jealous of your perfect clone eating your chocolate in
>> front of you if the clone is "technically" you?
>
> Because he is no longer me, obviously.
>
>   John K Clark

Please look at this last sentence and the last one in your previous
paragraph. They seem to contradict each other. Since you say that POV of the
original and the copy would be the same, then why do you admit that original
would be jealous? If both POVs were the same, the original should have
nothing to be jealous about because he would be tasting chocolate too.

Slawomir