[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 02:42:17 UTC 2006

On Jun 29, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Acy Stapp wrote:

> I think the only successful choice will be to be happy when you are
> enhancing your fitness in the future competitive environment. You
> would feel pain and suffering when you are doing or having done to you
> actions which impair your fitness. Any other choice will be result in
> the evolution of other Minds leaving you behind.

This answer assumes that the future is pretty much like the present.
It assumes relative scarcity and "fitness" based competition.  There
is a problem here.  Nothing that was once biological is going to out-
compete strong AI once it arrives on the scene.  So we had best hope
that these assumption are not long term actualities.

- samantha