[extropy-chat] What Human Minds Will Eventually Do

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 4 20:25:11 UTC 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 3:57 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:59:08PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:
>
>> More seriously, I totally agree that we shouldn't over assume
>> that our own values will predominate; indeed, Darwin has to
>> remain the best guide. As an example, recall the SF stories
>> and movies in which it was just *assumed* that more advanced
>> creatures would be benevolent, would have "risen above" our
>
> It is almost always assumed that cruising aliens are super-advanced,
> and super-intelligent. But just assuming a) relativistic flight
> b) iterated selection over large distances it's pretty obvious
> intelligence is not a trait selected for.

Hmm?  The "selection" is largely controllable by that advanced a
species.  Presumably there would no small value is having a goodly
amount of intelligence included in probes out exploring the galaxy.

> The only traits selected
> for are short reproduction time and expansiveness.

Apparently you are assuming some competition to claim all the
reachable resources.  But claiming and defending resources requires
no small intelligence.  Negotiations with other species possibly
encountered also takes intelligence.  Even waging war on sight or
deciding whether that is a rash proposition takes a bit more brain
power than you seem to be positing.   Pioneers need to be as ready
for *anything* as they can be while still being economical enough to
be pioneering.   I do not see how intelligence is "not selected for".

- samantha