[extropy-chat] In the Long Run, How Much Does Intelligence Dominate Space?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 00:29:21 UTC 2006

On 7/6/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:

> In that way, the initiating intelligence gets a copy of itself
> going in almost no time. No further pellets are either welcome
> or necessary. Within hours, they themselves (any incoming pellets)
> are hopelessly far behind the technology ruling the planet's
> surface.

Hours? While we can't predict the details of future technology, we do have
some estimates for things like replication speed of advanced nanosystems;
those estimates put the time to go from a single lander to covering an
entire planet as orders of magnitude longer than that, with filling an
entire star system taking considerably longer still. Unless you were
postulating something else?