[extropy-chat] In the Long Run, How Much Does Intelligence Dominate Space?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Jul 6 00:52:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 05:14:55PM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> My guess goes quite contrary: moments after a Von Neumann type
> probe lands on a planet---a probe incidentally which was designed
> and sent by a vast superhuman intelligence---it rather quickly
> takes over the entire surface of the planet. It also rather

> In that way, the initiating intelligence gets a copy of itself
> going in almost no time. No further pellets are either welcome
> or necessary. Within hours, they themselves (any incoming pellets)

What Russell said.  And more specifically, what's the energy supply, vs.
the energy demand?  I don't think solar power is going to let you sweep
a planet in hours.

Also, even with nanotech, you have to *find* the right atoms.  Which
will be harder the smaller your seed is (low mobility).

-xx- Damien X-)