[extropy-chat] why the vertebrate eye might not be suboptimal after all

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 7 15:14:17 UTC 2006

My medico friend adds a more extension and persuasive rebuttal:

===============

...what would you consider to be suboptimal design of a visual organ?
Putting the retina on backwards? Having the nerves and blood vessels
run across the light-collecting surface of the retina? Having a blind
spot? Having the risk of retinal detachments? Having an anterior
chamber that can trap fluid and cause pressure damage? These are so
obviously poor design features that I didn't think it necessary to
defend them. What Ayoub has done, of course, is to pretend that these
are optimal design features. There is no way they can be. No designer
would *choose* these features. All of Ayoub's arguments are waving
his hands. Which is why I raised that question at the start. What
would you consider to be suboptimal design? I imagine that if you
were to ask a thousand different camera designers how to build an
effective eye-like structure from scratch, not a single one of them
would incorporate any of those flaws. And I'm sorry for picking on
the ID angle, but to me that was the only reason Ayoub came to his
arguments in the first place. I don't know of anyone who thinks the
vertebrate eye is an optimal design except creationists and IDists.

>>Note also that he called cephalopods "marine vertebrates".
>
>A typo, surely.

Yes, most likely a typo. But this was not an email written in haste,
it was a referenced article that I presume he proof-read. And it's
only 1500 words long. He then submitted it to a journal in 1996,
admittedly a crap journal run by the ARN, but still a journal where
presumably it was read by at least one editor. Then it was reproduced
on the ARN's website. And from there it has been quoted many times by
sympathetic souls (including that nicely quotable sentence) none of
whom have corrected it or pointed out the error. So why, in ten years
of opportunity to revise, has this sentence survived? The answer can
only be that none of the people involved, from the author on, has
been interested in critical appraisal of the text.

If you want a more pointed rebuttal of Ayoub's arguments, check out
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nesse/Articles/Nesse-MaladaptNatSel-QRB-2005.pdf
which contains the following para:

The eye is also, however, the poster child
for the body's imperfections. It works well
when it works, but often it does not. Nearly a
third of us have hereditary nearsightedness,
and almost no one over 55 can read a phone
book unassisted (except for those who have
been nearsighted for decades!). The lovely
mechanism that regulates intraocular pressure
often fails, causing glaucoma. Then
there is the blind spot, a manifestation of the
abject design failure of nerves and vessels that
penetrate the eyeball in a bundle and spread
out along the interior surface instead of penetrating
from the outside as in the betterdesigned
cephalopod eye. Octopi not only
have a full field of vision, but they need not
worry about retinal detachment. They also
need neither the tiny jiggle of nystagmus that
minimizes the shadows cast by vessels and
nerves on the vertebrate retina nor the brain
processing mechanisms that extract the visual
signal from the nystagmus noise. In short, the
vertebrate eye is a masterpiece not of design,
but of jury-rigged compensations for a fundamentally
defective architecture.

Or there's
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/03/the_kraken_wake.html
especially Ian Musgrave's contribution, which I've quoted hereafter:

The various anti-evolution commentators

[[Again, I note that of course I'm not interested in this as an
*anti*-evolution argument; I'm a habitual contrarian wondering if
what seems ill-adapted necessarily is. Yes, evolution retains plenty
of solutions that barely do the job and that thereafter constrain the
pathways that might have led to better means of doing a job. But
we've also seen science far too quickly decide that some part of the
body is merely vestigial and unnecessary; the whole "junk DNA"
farrago is a prime example--some probably is conserved viral junk,
but plenty isn't. DB]]

usually don't put in the time to understand the physiology of the
retina in general, nor the comparative physiology of cephalopods and
vertebrates. The RPE argument is a case in point. Most cephalopods
have a transparent, non-pigmented epithelium that the photoreceptors
are attached to. It is very hard to see it in the available online
resources, but it is there. There is no reason it cannot do the
recycling that the vertebrate RPE does (although this role is
probably undertaken by processes from the supporting cells in the
basement membrane). The absorption of excess light, as well as the
nutrient function of the RPE/choroid, is undertaken by a layer of
pigment cells and blood vessels in the basal membrane, that lies at
the base of the light harvesting villi. You can see the blood vessels
and pigments in <http://www.jcb.org/cgi/reprint/25/2/345>this paper
on the octopus retina.

Tom Curtis wrote:
I notice that Ian did not deal with the nutrient issue that I
discussed in most depth, and dealt differently (and better) with the
over heating issue.

The nutrient issue follows directly from the heating issue. The blood
vessels in the vertebrate eye are slightly distant from the terminal
ends of the photoreceptor processes, and quite far from the cell
bodies. The blood has to be pumped through at great velocity to cool
down the choroid and to deliver nutrients to the distant retina. In
the cephalopods the blood vessels are right next to the terminal
parts of the photoreceptor process, the photoreceptor cell bodies and
the pigment cells where it is needed. It is far more efficient than
the vertebrate system for both cooling and nutrient delivery (this
also takes care of Plunge's concerns).

Typically, most of the arguments for the "superiority" of the
vertebrate "back-to-front" retina are irrelevant. Other commentators
in this thread have pointed this out giving a number of examples.
Vertebrate photoreceptors can detect a single photon, great, but so
can cephalopod photoreceptors, and they are not covered with gunk
that absorbs or scatters the incoming photons. Cephalopods occupy
many niches, from shallow water tidal zones with high light
intensities to the abyssal depths where every photon counts, some are
ambush predators, and some are active hunting predators. Some see in
black and white, some see in colour, some see polarized light (which
vertebrates can't). Many have visual acuity equivalent to many
vertebrates; cuttlefish have equivalent visual acuity to cats. All
this without an invert retina. When Denton says

Denton wrote:
"that in redesigning from first principles an eye capable of the
highest possible resolution (within the constraints imposed by the
wavelength of light16) and of the highest possible sensitivity
(capable of detecting an individual photon of light) we would end up
recreating the vertebrate eye"

he is just plain wrong.

The pre-adaptation concept is nonsense. We are to expect that an
intelligent designer will give the marine vertebrates, which are
significantly more numerous in species and population than the
terrestrial vertebrates, a poorly designed retina so that a very few
percent of all terrestrial vertebrates can have supposedly superior
vision? This is a definition of "good design" of which I was not
previously aware.

[[again: ID is not the issue here]]

Tom Curtis wrote:
As to a cooling bath, a more efficient procedure (for humans at
least) would be a UV filter in the lens, eliminating the damaging but
useless radiation in the first place.

.

Not really, most of the damage is coming from heat generated by
ordinary visual spectrum photons being absorbed by the pigments in
the choroids (and superoxide radicals generated by the visual cascade
itself), a UV filter would help, but would only reduce some of the
damage. Cephalopods manage the cooling system better than vertebrates.

Plunge wrote:
Should we really claim that the human eye is NOT the best possible design?

Yes, because it isn't. The vertebrate eye works, and works rather
well (one merely has to contemplate the visual acuity of the eagle to
see that the "design" works well). But it is a suboptimal Heath
Robinson "design" where the limitations of the original invert retina
setup (which were irrelevant to amphioxus and the small chordates in
which the vertebrate eye evolved) are worked around by kludges. It is
like claiming that the misground Hubble mirror with its correcting
lenses is the "best possible design" because it gives clear pictures.