[extropy-chat] why the vertebrate eye might not be suboptimal after all

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 7 23:17:43 UTC 2006

At 02:44 PM 7/7/2006 -0700, Stuart wrote:

>If ID were correct, you would think that humans would have the best
>eyes of all.

Drat, nobody seems to take my point. It's got nothing to do with
*intelligent* design, only with locally and sequentially optimized
design. If you find scads of cases of similar designs that work well
enough until offspring have offsprung, maybe some of the apparent
deficits have unsuspected advantages--as with antagonistic pleitropy.
(But I agree that the trouble with a racheting selection system is
that often you can't get there from here *purely by darwinnowed
mutation*, so critters perforce make the best of it. Hence, my
friend's astute comparison with the Hubble's optics.)

Damien Broderick