[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Jul 14 16:58:39 UTC 2006

At 09:34 AM 7/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>This comment was recently posted by "Chris" on my blog (responses welcome):
>
>         "Does anyone know if any work has been done on the subject of how
> much
>waste heat would be generated by a singularity event? I'm thinking in
>terms of the fact that all computation, like all physical action,
>generates at least some degree of waste heat ( just no getting around
>thermodynamics) Assuming our civilization gives rise to a computational
>matrix that independently evolves in processing power exponentially,
>wouldn't that result in a catastrophic and possibly terminal heat-shock
>to the host-biosphere? Maybe that's the fate of all civilizations that
>reach singularities. I'd love it if anyone has any ideas to share on
>this..."

Ultimately, you can't get more waste heat than the energy available.

If you captured the entire output of the sun, and radiated the waste heat
by a shell somewhat further out than the distance of earth, the temperature
would not be a great deal different than earth is now (accounting for
geometry factors).

As likely would be a huge fall in the use of energy by a civilization
undergoing a singularity.  Consider the inefficiencies of food, transport
and brain activity.

I posted on this subject to another list yesterday.  Here is an extract.