[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jul 16 21:22:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 02:48:41PM +0200, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> Why do we care about singularity energy demands? Perhaps because we want
> to look form them as part of SETI. Perhaps to put upper bounds on how hard
> a takeoff can be. That can be useful for thinking about policy.

Hard as in absolute capabilities after time t, or in maximal amount
of material transformed within t? The latter requires access to
predispersed material in shallow gravity wells.

Singulatities suffer bad kinetics on the bottom of gravity wells,
especially atmosphere-contaminated (sure, local biosphere contains a
lot of fuel).