[extropy-chat] Simplifying Singularity

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Sun Jun 4 07:09:18 UTC 2006

Anna writes

> At the same time, your point is you think that the Singularity
> will be an unrecognizable event?

I'd say that the Singularity (or singularity) will itself
be very recognizable if it comes on very fast, but not so
if it happens slowly over the course of time.

> I was just asking if it's a good phrase.

No, your phrase was poor, for the reasons that I gave and
the reason that Keith gave.

> Does it sum up exactly the definitions on Google or does
> it seem completely off?

It seemed completely off.

> In one phrase, define Singularity?  That's all I was trying to do.

Well, I can't beat Wikipedia's definition:

   technological singularity - a theoretical point in the development
   of a scientific civilization at which technological progress
   accelerates into infinity or beyond prediction. This is believed
   to occur when artificial intelligence or intelligence amplification
   reaches a certain level. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity

Lee