[extropy-chat] Help requested for friend

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 01:13:34 UTC 2006

Hi all,

A friend of mine over in America has been having some difficulties and I'm
trying to find some help or advice for her; I figured if there's any group
of people who'd have ideas, it's this one.

It started a few weeks ago when she broke her knee playing softball; the
damage is pretty bad, she's getting treatment but it's estimated at least
another few weeks before she's up and about again. Now she's discovered she
doesn't have a job to go back to - office politics were involved apparently
- which in turn scuppers her plan to adopt her 7 year old foster daughter.

She's had legal advice on the adoption issue and apparently there's nothing
that can be done about that, but I've been trying to come up with advice on
the issue of finding a new job. She's a meteorological technician, which
apparently is a rather specialized job, such that it's going to be very hard
to find another vacancy in that field; but from looking at her resume it
seems to me that it ought to be possible for her to switch to a slightly
different position, at worst with a modest amount of retraining; my own
field is software rather than hardware, though, so I'm drawing a blank on
specifics.

If anyone has advice on what she can do from here, we'd appreciate it; her
email address is dboncore -at- gmail -dot- com and I'm hosting her resume
for the moment at http://homepage.eircom.net/~russell12/debraresume.txt