[extropy-chat] Extinctions

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jun 11 17:37:22 UTC 2006

On Jun 11, 2006, at 8:07 AM, spike wrote:

> [...]

A pity we don't apply the same logic to wars and countless government
boondoggles.

> Governments can
> provide subsidies and incentives to some extent, but governments
> run out of
> money eventually.  Alternative energy sources will go nowhere until
> the
> cheap oil is burned, for instance.

I have been amazed to watch the stock price of many alternative
energy companies fall while oil stays in the stratosphere.  Something
is wrong.  I don't think it is "greed".   I think it is a deep
recognition of sunk cost in oil based infrastructure.

- samantha