[extropy-chat] Extinctions

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 12 07:03:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:03:39PM -0700, spike wrote:

> Ja, that is why I consider ethanol the most promising near-term alternative.

I don't. Bioethanol is not a source of energy.

> Most modern cars can be fairly cheaply modified to run on 85% ethanol.  We

Most modern cars can't run on E85 or M85 (the methanol equivalent) off
the factory line. It would seem some regulations are in order.

> can use the existing underground tanks, the pumps, the tanker trucks, etc.
> It will be ethanol in the short run, not hydrogen, not liquid natural gas.

If it will be ethanol instead of methanol, it's because agribusiness
lobby doesn't care about thermodynamics, just subsidies.

> Disappointingly low tech, but it is the cheapest next step.

Actually, M85 is the cheapest next step, with pure methanol being
the next cheapest next step. After that, it might be straight EV
for vehicles, at least.