[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity

Mark Walker mark at permanentend.org
Tue Jun 20 13:31:10 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "giorgio gaviraghi" <giogavir at yahoo.it>

>I believe that the opposite is true.
> Superlongevity will defeat boredom, because will allow
> people to have long range plans, will allow careers
> change, permanent education ,possibility to explore
> new subjects without the costrain of time .
> Our society must understand that superlongevity will
> change completely the education and work market.
> Today we risk to be off the labor market if we are
> over 45, in a new society age must not be a
> discriminating factor as it is today, but must allow
> everybody to have new opportunities independently of
> age.That is the main issue and the main challenge,
> forget the age barrier that today is what leads to
> boredom, desperation and a terrible waste of good
> knowhow and experience.
> Society must overcome the age barrier and accept
> willing people at any age, without any more
> discriminations.
> Giorgio

Your conjecture that superlongevity will overcome boredom I think is
plausible for some. The elderly now are sometimes marginalized. I heard
students at my university criticize senior citizens for taking up space in a
course that would be better given to a younger student. So, I think a least
some boredom can be attributed to ageism. Whether it would completely
disappear with superlongevity is another matter.

Regards,

Mark

Dr. Mark Walker
Department of Philosophy