[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue Jun 20 14:40:51 UTC 2006

> Your conjecture that superlongevity will overcome boredom I think is
> plausible for some. The elderly now are sometimes marginalized. I heard
> students at my university criticize senior citizens for taking up space in
> course that would be better given to a younger student. So, I think a
> least
> some boredom can be attributed to ageism. Whether it would completely
> disappear with superlongevity is another matter.

In my experience some people simply *are* bored. They don't do anything.
They do not or cannot or will not even amuse themselves. I fear there's
not much can be done about that - other than making resources so few and
far between that they *must* continue struggling just to survive. Hard to
be bored then! :/

Other folks have continuing interests and eagerness to learn and expand
their capabilities.  They might well appreciate extended years of decent
health. And that is the key, decent health. No particular delight when one
is suffering and frustrated with pain and incapacity.

I see a major need in that area... dealing with the troubles that afflict
us as we become older. A few very specific things here that are
frightening to older folks: debilitating arthritis, macular degeneration,
Alzheimers, osteoporosis... These suckers don't kill you, they just kill a
large part of your life. :(

And we're all on this road, even the young squirts who resent old folks in
their classes. Which reaction I do understand, if there are young folks
needing/wanting those classes.

Regards,
MB