[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 05:07:13 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Nowthen, by that reasoning, an A380 would have over twice the risk of
> being
> attacked as a B737, since it has over twice the seats.  I recognize that
> this might be circular reasoning, or probability theory abuse, so I am
> open
> to countersuggestion.

My countersuggestion, to put it bluntly and pardon the French if you're a
religious man, is that those of us who are rational enough to know better -
yes, that means you Spike! - cut out the bullshit panicmongering; it may
seem like harmless fun, but the end result of panic is ham-fisted attempts
at protecting against minor or imaginary dangers, that have the actual
effect of steering the world right into the path of very real and grave
dangers.

Sir, be ashamed. More importantly: _stop_.