[extropy-chat] ExtroBritannia's March event: James Hughes on The Politics of Human Enhancement

estropico estropico at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:11:27 UTC 2006

ExtroBritannia's March event:

James Hughes on "The Politics of Human Enhancement"

This month, we'll look at "The Politics of Human Enhancement" with
James Hughes, Executive Director of the World Transhumanist
Association and its affiliated Institute for Ethics and Emerging
Technologies, and author of Citizen Cyborg.

"Religious conservatives are joining with Greens, feminists and the
disabled to enact global bans on human enhancement technologies.
Demographers are warning policy makers that life extension
technologies will wreck pensions. Drug warriors scramble to keep up
with the proliferation of new psychopharmaceuticals, while drug
regulators try to figure out how to assure the safety of gene
therapies and implantable devices. In this new biopolitical landscape
what strategic course should transhumanists set? How can we unite our
libertarians and leftists, our seculars and spirituals, our life
extenders, wire-heads and Singularitarians, around a common agenda to
defend everyone's rights to safe and universally accessible
enhancement technologies? Dr. Hughes will lay out an agenda for
transhumanist activism that can unite a broad, majoritarian coalition
around the right to control our own bodies and minds, and achieve
longer, happier, healthier lives for everyone."

Friday the 17th of March 2006 starting at 7pm at Conway Hall (Club
Room) in Holborn, London.

The event is free and everyone is welcome.

CONWAY HALL
25 Red Lion Square,
London WC1R 4RL
tel 020 7242 8032