[extropy-chat] Peak Oil meta-news

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Mar 8 19:51:48 UTC 2006

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> ### If you read Gold's book and find no good arguments, shouldn't your
> expectation drift below 20%, since the absence of evidence in a
> location where it is most likely to be found is a form of evidence for
> absence (i.e. the null hypothesis)?

Sure.  That did occur to me, but I wanted to talk about the simple case
first.

I also note that, within the restricted fact bucket, absence of evidence
is not experimental evidence of absence.  The world's stupidest man may
say the sun is shining, but that doesn't make it dark out.  The above
inference is from absence of argument, which puts it into the "observed
opinion" bucket.  Only an experimental test powerful enough to be
expected to discriminate between abiotic oil and standard oil would go
into the fact bucket.