[extropy-chat] Are vaccinations useless?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 04:36:59 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, Jeff Medina <analyticphilosophy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure.  But you don't get to dismiss an expert's claim as "wildly
> stupid" UNLESS you can debunk his or her claim(s).  And you haven't
> done so...

Ah, I think I have. If you think I haven't, I'll suggest that what's really
going on is that several different claims - of wildly differing
reasonableness - are getting blurred together in this debate. I'm not
planning to get back into the debate itself, but if you want my reasoning
for believing I debunked the claims being made, I'd suggest rereading the
exact wording of the claims I said I was debunking, and the claims I said
were semi-plausible. This is one of those cases where, because of the
mulching together of claims, the exact wording is important.

And then you have someone suggesting anyone who wants to be a true
rationalist should henceforth not go to the doctor when they get sick -
that's potentially beyond just juggling arguments, and into the territory of
advice that could kill people if they take it. That's time to step out of
philosopher mode and into getting _sane_ mode.