[extropy-chat] Death is irreversible v.1.0

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 8 08:31:37 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Heartland wrote:

> Mind object (or just "mind") - An object in time and space consisting of all
> matter, but only that matter which is presently and actively involved in producing
> the mind. It is a process consisting of chain of activity of matter and energy in
> time and space.
>
> Brain object (or just "brain") - An object in time and space that consists of all
> matter that currently does not make up mind object but is necessary to support > its existence.
>
> Trajectory of an object - Space-time path of matter making up that object. It is a
> list of all present space-time locations of all matter that currently makes up the
> object.
>
> Identity of an object - Unique trajectory of the object in time and space.

<snip>

Where does multiple personality disorder fit in to these speculations?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder>
Dissociative identity disorder is a diagnosis described in the
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition,
Revised, as the existence in an individual of two or more distinct
identities or personalities, each with its own pattern of perceiving
and interacting with the environment. At least two of these
personalities are considered to routinely take control of the
individual's behavior, and there is also some associated memory loss,
which is beyond normal forgetfulness. This memory loss is often
referred to as "losing time".

Sounds like two or more of your 'minds' sharing the same brain and the
same atoms to maintain themselves. They have different memories,
identities and experiences and neither remembers what the other was
doing. Each identity must be 'dying' in your terms then restarting
again as each mind hands the brain over to  another.  But, of course,
they're not dying. They just go to sleep, like we do every night, or
under anesthesia, or when we get hit by Frank Tyson.

BillK