[extropy-chat] Death is irreversible v.1.0

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Mon May 8 11:07:15 UTC 2006

BillK:
> Where does multiple personality disorder fit in to these speculations?

The only relevant aspect of subjective experience to this argument is whether
subjective experience exists or not. The *content* of that subjective experience
does not impact the argument in any way. It is because the focus of the argument is
on the physical "substance" of subjective experience (activity of matter in time
and space), not its information content.

BillK:
> Sounds like two or more of your 'minds' sharing the same brain and the
> same atoms to maintain themselves. They have different memories,
> identities and experiences and neither remembers what the other was
> doing. Each identity must be 'dying' in your terms then restarting
> again as each mind hands the brain over to  another.

This would be true from "mind is a pattern of information" perspective, which is
implied here, but it certainly wouldn't be true from my perspective, which is that
"mind is an instance of activity of matter in time and space." According to the
argument, a person with this disorder would maintain the same identity (in the
physical sense) for the duration of an instance of his subjective experience
regardless of personality changes (the content of that subjective experience). The
same would be true for any other person not suffering from this disorder.

S.