[extropy-chat] [wta-talk] Re: [agi] the Singularity Summit and regulation of AI

Hughes, James J. james.hughes at trincoll.edu
Wed May 10 13:13:59 UTC 2006

> Bill Hibbard is another obvious choice.

Also Gary Marchant:

http://www.law.asu.edu/Apps/Faculty/Faculty.aspx?Individual_ID=6

http://www.foresight.org/Conference/AdvNano2004/Abstracts/Marchant/index
.html

He's a member of CRN's Task Force, and has written about the
(in)efficacy of global regulations on genetics and nanotechnology.

He also organized the "Forbidding Science" conference at ASU.

http://www.law.asu.edu/forbiddingscience

And yes, I strongly agree that the regulatory approach has been given
too little attention in discussion of emergent super-intelligence. One
of the ways to ensure that we are allowed to proceed with technological
progress, and can reap its benefits, is to anticipate the calls for
complete prohibition and propose moderate regulations that reduce the
risks of hostile uses of AI, or runaway AI.

James Hughes Ph.D.
Executive Director, Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies
http://ieet.org
Editor, Journal of Evolution and Technology
http://jetpress.org
Williams 229B, Trinity College
300 Summit St., Hartford CT 06106
(office) 860-297-2376