[extropy-chat] ANNOUNCE: Extropy Institute's Future

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Fri May 12 18:37:20 UTC 2006

Hello all

It's been a while since I've posted to the list, although I have continually
monitored it for several years now.  I'm surprised and disheartened to hear
that ExI is no more, but I know that the Board must know what's best for the
institute and that gives me some comfort.

In terms of memorable discussions, a few years back there were a number of
very thought provoking discussions/debates concerning the inevitability and
benefits of societal transparency.  Although the discussions eventually
tended toward ad hominem attacks, I believe that there was much of value in
the ideas expressed in them.  I also believe that with the continual
evolution, use and acceptance of surveillance technology (think cell phone
cameras, traffic light cameras, explosion of CCTV