[extropy-chat] Darwin Award

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri May 19 16:49:52 UTC 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 10:39 PM, jeffrey davis wrote:

> On 5/18/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com > wrote:
>

> It is not irrelevant as the type of technology available determines
> the costs of such a project and its  feasibility.   Sufficiently
> advanced automation to accomplish this task as well as sufficient
> resources and sustaining technology may require nanotechnology and
> AI.  I think that it will.  If you think otherwise then please make
> your case.
>
> - samantha
>
> You're perhaps familiar with "Advanced automation for space
> missions"(AASM), a seminal work on self-replication by Freitas et
> al. sometimes referred to as the 1980 NASA summer study.  A quarter
> century ago Freitas declared self-replication doable, and on the
> moon no less, with the attendant severe restrictions on human on-
> site assistance.  So it's not really my case but Freitas's.

Assuming sufficient resources, energy, control and logics that can't
be locally replicated without something like MNT, yes?

> Engineering-wise, it's about control systems. Our current
> industrial system with humans in the loop has 100 percent closure.
> Replacing the humans requires control systems.

How sophisticated are these likely to need to be to build
infrastructure capable of supporting large numbers of humans in a
hostile environment.  Where is the case that we have that
sophistication remotely in hand or will have with less than major AI
advancements?

> Since 1980 we've seen how many doublings of computational capacity,
> which translates into vastly cheaper (and/or vastly more capable)
> control systems components?   Using Moore's law as a rough guide,
> in the twenty-five years since AASM, control element costs have
> fallen, or capability risen, by a factor of 10e6.

Total hand waving.  Chip density and raw speed to not remotely
directly translate to increased autonomous control capabilities.

> Beyond that, the obstacles to implementation remain vision,
> creativity, the size of the project(very big), and perhaps
> political will.  Personally, I prefer to dispense with political
> will and go with vision and creativity.
>
> That said, many smart folks still contend that the problem is "too
> hard".  Add the daunting size of the undertaking and it becomes a
> non-trivial matter to mobilize enough folks to "Just give it a try
> and well see if it can be done."  That's where the creativity comes
> in.

Thanks for for the rah-rah non-answer.

- samantha